SEE WHAT WE
CAN OFFER TO
Before the Club was built, a committe was formed, and with the signing of twenty memberships with cash in hand, a meeting was called and plans were formulated to give Bremerton a Golf & Country Club. Cost of membership would be fixed at $100, and perhaps 150-200 members could be signed. A cash deposit of $5 was required.
The first name given to the club was Kitsap County Country Club.
By April 11, 1924, 100 members had been signed to join and plans were being perfected towards forming a corporation.
On July 2, 1924 the course was ready for its first tournament. Rustic benches and sandboxes on each tee, the members gathered. Small mounds of sand were used for tees. The House Committee provided ice cream and coffee. Low score for the day was 82 for six holes.
A few days prior to the opening, the first lady member was accepted as a playing member.
By October 1, 1924 the course work was complete for permanent greens, except for mowing the fairways and greens. A mower was purchased that cut a swath six feet wide thus saving a great deal of time. It was planned that a horse would be purchased later to do the job. Also, at this time the membership stood at 125.
July 3, 1925 was the opening day of a full nine holes. The length of the course was 2500 yards. Members celebrated in great style with an 18 hole tournament, with ladies furnishing the baskets for the basket social.
Social Memberships began in 1929 with an initiation fee of $175.00 with dues at $24 per year. Also in 1929, parents could take out a membership for their children between the ages of eight and seventeen by paying dues of $1 plus tax of .10 cents per month. Widows paid half dues and Army and Navy officers could use the course by paying green fees.
The club employed a general caretaker and his wife, who were responsible for the club activites such as dinners, accepting green fees, and seeing to the
maintenance of the course.
Chico Creek was the only means of water for the course, with a well for domestic water use.
The Golf Pros salary in the mid 1930's was $25 per month, which was later raised to $40.
1936 to 1939 the Club tried going public as a way of alleviateing financial conditions. $5 tickets were available for monthly play. Stockholders did not like this venture and it was soon abandoned.
In 1948 the Club spent $35,000 on the course, $27,700 on the clubhouse remodeling, $5,650 on furniture and fixtures and $13,500 on the acquisition of land.
|Home | Golf Course | Club House | Memberships | Pro Shop | Contact Us|